Gifts for the bridal couple: some ideas for "the established" or "the picky"

My younger brother's wedding next month has got me into gift-giving mode.

I initially thought about just giving him and his fiancee some cash for two reasons. First, she's of Chinese heritage and is a little bit on the traditional side. From experience, cash is generally the preferred wedding gift for the more traditional Chinese. Nowadays of course it's becoming more and more acceptable and almost trendy in the Anglophone worlds for the bridal couple to ask for cash in lieu of gifts. Secondly, giving cash is much easier and much more convenient. All I have to do is transfer the money into his bank account and voila! I am spared the hassle (and the pleasure;-) of shopping around and the ensuing stress of  "what if I get them the wrong gift?"

Then I had a flash of wedding gift giving genius! I'll give the couple an IKEA gift card.

I know what you're thinking. Too practical and maybe a wee bit boring? Well yes, kind of, but (!) contextually speaking, no sir! not at all! It's also original. I haven't yet heard of anyone who's received an Ikea gift card as a wedding gift. 

You see, the couple bought a cute little house some months ago and they've been busily renovating it ever since. Over family get-togethers, I've heard them mention something about needing a new kitchen and a few things to furnish their new home. Hence, my Ikea gift card idea! 

I don't know of any young couple, no matter how established or picky they happen to be, who've never shopped and bought something they liked and found satisfyingly useful from this great equaliser of a store. I love their decorative pillows and throws and some of the bookshelves (even if they come flat-packed!) have wonderful finishes. I have one at home that visitors don't believe come from Ikea until I show them the receipt. 


think wedding, NOT unoriginal TIP:
when giving gifts some great ideas may seem bland at first and not very creative. try to really think of the overall context such as what the couple might really need and want at this stage. put things into context. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment